February is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans* LGBT History Month in the UK.
The purpose of this observance is to celebrate the lives and achievements of the LGBT community. Here at Sh! we love a good celebration and over the course of Feb are going to be bringing you some great posts right here on the blog, advocating for increased visibility of LGBT-identified folks, and acknowledging the importance of health, happiness and diversity for everyone!
Sadly, the lives and experiences of LGBT people have frequently been hidden from the public eye. Ignorance, prejudice and homophobia have at times made the world a dangerous or hostile place for an LGBT person to live. Recognizing February as LGBT history month is an opportunity to change this. By talking openly about the achievements and experiences of the LGBT community we can help to destigmatize same-sex relationships, allowing young LGBT people to learn how to protect their health, and live their lives out in the open without fear!
Make sure to keep an eye out for all the great events happening near you this February, and consider getting involved with a fundraiser or donating to one of the many charities doing fab work supporting LGBTQQ people all over the UK.
If you need help or advice about any LGBT issues, here are just a few of the wonderful organizations you can contact who offer discreet, judgement-free advice and support:
- The Lesbian and Gay Foundation 08453 303030 Registered charity offering advice, support and information. Provides counselling, workshops, events, wellbeing services, pop-in advice and more.
- London Lesbian and Gay Switchboard 0300 330 0630 Offering free & confidential support & information daily 10am-10pm.
- Galop 020 7704 2040 Receive specialist advice & support, & report incidents of hate crime, harassment, domestic violence, assault or abuse.
- PACE Health Center 020 7700 1323 London’s leading charity promoting the mental health and emotional well-being of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Offering appointments with specialist counsellors.
- Stonewall Housing 020 7359 5767 Provide housing support for LGBT people in their own homes, supported housing for young LGBT people, as well as free, confidential housing advice for LGBT people of all ages.
- Albert Kennedy Trust 0207 831 6562 Supporting young LGBT 16-25 year olds who are made homeless or living in a hostile environment.