Today is Sh’s 24th birthday! Since 1992 we have been helping women to enjoy happy, healthy sex lives.
A trip around London’s sex shops in the early 90’s revealed that women were simply not being catered to. Sh! was founded with just £700 and the dream of creating an inviting space with clued-up, sensitive staff. Somewhere where women could shop for good quality erotic playthings without feeling awkward, unwelcome or embarrassed.
Described as “true pioneers” (The Observer Magazine) “ground-breaking” and “the best sex shop for women” (Time Out), Sh! is a welcoming, honest and informative enviroment, where women can comfortably talk about sex and sex toys.
Now we have 24 years experience, talking intimately to women about all aspects of sex and we’d say we’re experts in the field! We’ve advised thousands of ‘pre-orgasmic’ women, along with vagismus sufferers and survivors of cancer and rape and we continue to answer new questions every week. We also host Cafe V with the My Body Back project to provide a safe space for people to talk and learn about sex after sexual assault.
We’re very proud of our artisan handmade sex toys, our knowledgeable staff, our body safe products and our inclusive attitude.
Today we’d like to thank everyone who’s been a part of Sh! history and share with you some of our favourite Sh! moments. If you have a Sh! story leave a comment or tweet us @ShWomenstore. Or you could visit us in store and grab some birthday cupcakes with the Sh! Team.
Renee our amazing shop manager shares some of her most memorable Sh! moments:
- The customer who was so drunk, she decided to lean against the wall for a little rest… Only there was no wall there.
- The shoplifter who tried to steal a vibe by placing it in her knickers…
- The A-lister who said her equally famous boyfriend gave her “10 out of 10 for blow job”.
- The woman who’d been told by doctors she’d never enjoy sex again – she called to say she’d had an orgasm!
- Being invited to talk to a group of HIV+ / FGM women – beyond my wildest dreams when I started at Sh! 9 years ago…
- The man who emailed me a picture of his meat & two veg on a plate, covered in baked beans… There really was no need! #Memories
Ky our managing director also has some pretty memorable stories:
- Hearing magistrate conclude ‘No case to answer’ whilst in court, accused by local council for running an unlicensed sex shop – Phew!
- Putting that toy through the Xray machine at Downing Street = heart in mouth as I awaited imminent alarm & impending tussle with floor MI5.
- Being given the lesson, by a titled Lady, that #sextoys do NOT make good small talk at a Downing Street reception…
- Live interview on Sky News. Put so much make-up on MD, I looked like #Trump.
- The WHOLE warehouse emptied by thieves = Team tears, then giggles at idea of shifting 500 x stolen Sh! dildos down pub
- Refusing phone call from ‘potential investor from Formula One’ Now, who could that have been…?
We’ve also got some memorable moments from the rest of the team!
Aphra – My most memorable Sh! moment was Sophie covered in red pigment coz ‘someone’ forgot to put the lid back on!
Sophie – My top moment was opening the doors of our best ever store in 1999.
Orsi – The first day at the HQ, colourful dildos and cute puppy dogs all over the place. And kind of every time I tell someone I work for Sh!
Mandy – If you work for Mail Order you have many memorable moments. Mine was when an 81 year old, elderly women called me to thank me for sending some extra batteries for her Sh! Easy Egg and that she needed some more. That gives me hope.
Kate – The first time someone came back to the shop to personally thank me. The first time I cried with a customer while counselling. The first time someone told me, “Well madame, that’s a mean cuppa.”