Silicone – probably the best sex toy material in the world with a growing choice as manufactures and consumers cotton on to its fantastic qualities.
Silicone is considered the safest and best material for sex toys
Silicone is odourless, non-toxic and hypoallergenic, and contains no phthalates or latex. This makes it a particularly good choice if you have any concerns about the safety of adult toys.
How Does Silicone Feel?
Silicone feels warm, smooth and dry to the touch; not cool and hard like plastic sex toys, or cold and clammy like sex toys made out of jelly material.
Silicone sex toys are non-porous and hold lubricant really well on the surface of the toy, meaning there’s no need to keep slathering it on at inopportune moments! However, not every lube will do – make sure you use only water-based personal lubricants and not silicone lube. Silicone lube as can have an adverse effect on the surface of your silicone toy, so are best avoided.
Whilst soft to the touch, silicone is quite a dense material so it transmits vibration really well – great for vibrators and Thrill-Dildos (the vibrating versions of our silicone dildos).
Silicone is practically indestructible, unless attacked by something sharp like pinking sheers (it’s been known to happen) and it doesn’t break down. This makes it a great choice for sex toys.
Although very durable, once torn, silicone can split quite easily, so keep your silicone toys away from sharp edges and curious pets.
Silicone is an expensive raw material and producers of silicone adult toys tend to be, like ourselves, small, specialist manufacturers, dedicated to producing quality toys. Silicone sex toys will never be able to compete in cost with the mass-produced sex toys that come from the Far East.
Pros of Silicone as a Sex Toy Material
- The safest adult toy material
- Hypo-allergenic & non-toxic
- Feels dry, smooth and warm to the touch
- Totally non-porous (neither absorbs or discloses any other substance)
- Can be sterilized/disinfected which means you can safely share toys between partners or pleasure zones just as long as they are sterilized/disinfected between uses.
- Transmits vibration excellently
- Warms quickly to body temperature
- Holds lubricant well (use only water–based lubes)
- Easy to clean.
Cons of Silicone Sex Toys
- Though durable, can tear once the surface is broken, so protect from nails, jewellery and curious pets
- Cannot be used with silicone-based lubes as the two silicones could be incompatible which will affect the surface of the toy.
Care & Cleaning of Silicone Sex Toys
Sex Toy Cleaner or soap and water, 10% bleach solution or rubbing alcohol can be used to clean silicone sex toys – always be sure to rinse thoroughly. Dildos and Vibratings Dildos (remove bullet) can be boiled for up to 3 minutes or washed in the top rack of a dishwasher. Dry thoroughly and store in a dry, fluff-free place.
Overall Verdict of Silicone Sex Toys:
A top quality choice: perfect for a strong, almost silent buzz, and safe, sensual experiences.