Cervical Cancer screening is a service that is offered nationwide
…if you’re over the age of 25. It’s likely you yourself have either had or are soon to receive a screening invitation. That being said, in 2010, 20% of women turned down their invitation a cervical screening and in the same year, only 50% of girls offered the HPV Vaccine chose to have the potentially life saving jab.
When you see statistics like these, it’s not hard to see why it is now more important than ever to raise awareness of Cervical Cancer and its prevention through attending screenings and early detection.
Maybe you think you don’t need to attend
a cervical screening
…but they are vital for anyone who is/has been sexually active, including Lesbian women and FTM Trans* people who have a cervix. Most cervical abnormalities are caused by persistent infection with HPV (HumanPapillomavirus) and as HPV can be transmitted through skin-to-skin contact in the genital area, all cervix owners are at risk of contracting HPV and experiencing abnormal cervical changes.
Because of the worrying statistics, Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust need as much help as possible to raise awareness and spread the word about their work. There are a number of ways to help them do this:
· Display posters/leaflets in GP surgeries, hospitals or your local library.
· Distribute our leaflets at your university or college.
· Ask if your employer would allow posters to be put up e.g. in women’s toilets.
· Run a stand or table with leaflets at your local hospital.
·Organise an event on behalf of Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust.
· Tell your story in your local newspaper.
· Spread the word…make your friends and family aware of the symptoms of cervical Cancer.
· Start a conversation online – you could tweet, Facebook, Google + or blog about cervical cancer.
It’s important to get the word out there about Cervical Cancer and how to prevent it.
Speaking to other cervix owners and attending screenings is one of the best ways to detect any abnormalities and get them dealt with early on. SPREAD THE WORD!